Pages

Friday, May 15, 2015

Darkness



            Ever since I was a child, I have been afraid of the dark. Even today I still have moments where when it gets super dark, I start to get anxious. I think this stems from when I was a child and Michael Jackson’s Thriller video came out. I think I was 4 or 5 at the time when I saw the video. For the longest time I was afraid that Michael Jackson was living under bed, waiting to come out at night and bite me and make me a zombie. I know, it is a very irrational fear. But because of this, I have always had to have a nightlight. Just a little bit of light that would help with my fear.

            Now, however, this fear is gone. I have learned to embrace and become comfortable in the darkness. I’m not 100% there but I’m getting there. Why? Because learning to live in the darkness can be a transforming experience. And, if you remember, resurrection takes place in the darkness.

            On Easter, we ring in the resurrection with light, the opposite of darkness. The liturgical color is white, we dress up kids in bright colorful outfits, put Easter lilies all around the sanctuary, and strike up the band. This is all great, because we should celebrate, but this isn't actually how the resurrection was. Open up the bible to the gospels and read the resurrection story and you will see that we read about the after effects.

            None of the Gospels talk about what actually happened in the tomb, in the darkness. But we know what happened after. It was in the darkness of the tomb, that resurrection took place. It was in the darkness of the tomb that life conquered death. Darkness experienced the resurrection before anyone else.

            Darkness comes at us in many different forms. Darkness can be literal, but it can also be a place where we are at in our lives. Darkness could be the grief that we are experiencing. Darkness could be the loss of a job. Darkness could be the loss of a relationship. Or darkness could be the news you have just received regarding your health. Darkness becomes that moment when we feel like we have no hope, no future.

            It is hard to stay and sit in the darkness because it is uncomfortable. We don’t know what is out ahead of us in the future because we can’t see through the darkness. But in darkness, we remember, that resurrection will come. As day turns to night and darkness fills the earth, we have to remember that the darkness is only temporary. Even in the darkness there is light, there is the light of the moon. As with the darkness that we are experiencing, there is light.

            In our darkness, we are not alone. When Jesus was in the cave, he was not alone in the darkness. In the resurrection, God was present. As with the resurrection, God is present in our darkness. And, not only is God present, but so are our friends and family. We are not alone in the darkness, because we are surrounded by the light and love of our community. 


            So don’t lose hope in your darkness, because resurrection is coming. I promise you that resurrection is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment