Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

I don't see "thugs"



I've seen many friends on social media posting about the "thugs" in Baltimore. What saddens me is that these friends are pastors or are going to school to become pastors. They should know better then to just look at the images coming out of Baltimore and pass judgement.

When I look at these images, I don't see "thugs."

I see children who only receive one meal at day from their school.
I see young men and women being told their lives are worth nothing and they will amount to nothing.
I see years of systemic oppression.
I see the lack in educational funds to an impoverished area.
I see single parents doing the best they can to provide for their children while making minimum wage.
I see lack of jobs in which people can make a living wage.
I see the lack of mentors for children who could make a difference in the world.
I see the lack of leadership willing to make a difference.
I see missing community resources.

I don't see "thugs," I see hurting people who's voices have been silenced for to long. I encourage you to look again and rethink some of your thoughts and assumptions. If you were in their shoes, would you not be crying out for justice like they are?

No comments:

Post a Comment