A blog about the spastic nature of faith and life and when they collide. By Heather Rodenborg.
Sunday, May 31, 2015
Waiting
Each day I am at the hospital, I play the waiting game. I don't just play it once, but multiple times with multiple families. I sit and wait with the families of trauma patients who are brought in. I wait with cancer patients as they are waiting to hear news regarding the cancer they are fighting. I wait with families who are sitting waiting for their family member to take their last breath. I wait with expecting partners as they wait for the birth of their child.
I wait; they wait; we wait together.
Waiting is always hardest for those who are doing the waiting. We are vulnerable in the waiting because there is nothing that we can do. We can't make time go faster. We literally can't do anything at all except to sit and wait.
Waiting isn't new. In fact, waiting is very much biblical. Abraham waited for years to have children. It wasn't until Abraham was 100 that Sarah finally gave birth to their son Isaac.
Joseph waited at a few different times in his life: as a slave and in jail.
Then there is the story of Job, in which we read of him waiting through loss.
Of course we can't forget Simeon, who waited for years for the Messiah and finally held him in his arms.
And lastly, the disciples, they waited for Jesus after his crucifixion and the Holy Spirit after Jesus' ascension into Heaven.
Waiting....
Waiting....
......
Waiting is painful. It can makes us angry and frustrated. Waiting can be sad. Waiting can be filled with anxiety.
Waiting....
What does waiting make you feel? How has waiting changed you?
For me, waiting reminds me that each moment is precious. Each moment I have with someone could be the last. Waiting has changed me and caused me to grow. Waiting has caused tears as I wait for the end to come for a loved one. Waiting has made me nervous as I waited to walk down the aisle at my wedding. And waiting has reminded me that I am not alone on this journey. While I wait, God is waiting with me. God waits, as I wait.
God waits with us all, as we wait for what is to come next.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment