Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Good in the Suffering

Romans 8:27-28 "And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to God's purpose."

Have you ever just picked up a bible and randomly opened it up and put your fingers onto the page and seen where they land? Well today I did this and landed on these two verses. The funny thing is, it happened while I was at work at the hospital. I admit, it is hard to see anything good in the hospital. Most of my days are spent sitting with those dying of cancer or who have had a stroke causing brain death. In the room, with these families, it is hard to see good.

When I am not in oncology or on the neuro unit, I also respond to traumas. Traumas have ranged from children being in a accident to self-inflicted gun shot wounds. In these rooms, good is also hard to see.

Where is the "good" in suffering? Or, as many have asked me, "Where is God?"

It's hard to see good in suffering. Sometimes, it's even harder to see God in the suffering. But God is there. Verse 28 says, "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God." Many times when this is read, we read it thinking that it means the "good" is everything  working out the way we want it to work out. Wouldn't that be nice?

For me, reading this verse means something new given my experiences in the hospital. "Good" for me has taken on a new meaning. "Good" has become families standing next to each other holding each other as their loved one takes their last breath. "Good" is a son getting to tell his father "I love you" one last time. "Good" is a mother donating her child's organs and saving the lives of 10 people. "Good" is a cancer patient being able to see all their family together in the same room for the first time in 15 years. "Good" is countless families allowing me to step into their sacred moments to pray for God to comfort them, weep with them, mourning with them, scream with them, laugh with them, and let go with them.

"Good" is the fact that God is with us on the journey called life and that we are never ever alone. So today, I am thankful for this small reminder from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment