Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Unsung Lullabies & Untold Stories


I said goodbye to you today.
    I said goodbye even though
       I never knew you.
 
I'll never get to hold you,
    never get to kiss you.
I'll never get to tuck you in at night
    or hold you after a bad dream.
 
Why?
    Because the doctor said so.
 
It's not my choice,
    it's not our choice.
 
If our love could create you,
    we would have 100 of you.
 
The baby books we bought will be donated,
    the clothes will clothe another.
 
We dreamed of you often:
    What would your name be?
        What would you look like?
            Would you have my sense of humor,
            and her blue eyes?
 
We will never know.
    Hopes....
        Dreams...
            Gone...
 
In place
    Tears...
        Tears...
            Tears...
 
The bedtime prayers will go unprayed.
    The lullabies unsung.
The stories,
    all the stories,
        will go untold.
 
We loved you before we knew you,
    which made it even harder to say.
        Goodbye.
            Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment